The Zagros .... breath-taking scenery, fantastic geology, the most hospitable people you’ll ever meet. And a lot of very large, spectacular anticlines. Yet despite more than one hundred years of exploration, the Zagros region remains under-explored and under-developed. Don’t be misled by the apparent simplicity of map-scale folds; stratigraphic and structural heterogeneities are widespread, and there are structural complexities that simply can’t be identified remotely, even with today’s ultra-high resolution satellite imagery.
We have extensive “boots-on-the-ground” field experience in the Middle East, and since 2009 we have carried out twenty-five successful field campaigns in the northern Zagros, totalling many hundred field days, in over 40 license blocks, for 14 companies, covering an area of over 10,000 sq.km.
- We have detailed outcrop knowledge of Cambrian-Pliocene stratigraphy, and a broad understanding of the structural complexities throughout the region.
- We enjoy close collaboration with colleagues in Durham University with wide experience of the Iranian Zagros.
- We work extensively with sub-surface interpretation based on integration of surface geology, satellite imagery, published and proprietary information, and sub-surface geophysical and well data.
- Construction of cross-sections for regional and detailed anticline studies includes 143 balanced Zagros sections totalling more than 6,800 km.
- We have comprehensive logistical capability, and our field teams are ready for bespoke single-client projects, as well as our own multi-client studies.
Zagros Regional Mapping (Iran, Iraq and SE Turkey)
Regional Appraisal of Fractured Reservoirs (NE Iraq)
Detailed Fracture Characterisation, Jurassic and Triassic (Kurdistan Region of Iraq)
Which Zagros Data Package is right for your requirements?
Zagros Regional Mapping
- Area: Iran, Iraq, South East Turkey
- Target: Exploration
- Content: GIS structure & strat maps, balanced cross-sections, correlation
- Purpose: To provide outcrop-scale to regional maps, linking surface stratigraphy and structure to sub-surface interpretation
Regional Appraisal of Fractured Reservoirs
- Area: Kurdistan Region of Iraq
- Target: Early Exploration
- Content: Fracture assessment, palaeofacies and depositional extent for all reservoir units
- Purpose: To help high-grading of potential fractured reservoirs
Detailed Fracture Characterisation
- Area: Triassic-Jurassic, Kurdistan Region of Iraq
- Target: Late exploration, development, production
- Content: Detailed extensive quantitative fracture parameters
- Purpose: To provide carefully constrained direct inputs for fracture modelling (e.g. DFNs)
Contact GRL Now:
+44 (0)191 384 1759